Updated: Feb 24, 2020
While it is dreary grey here in Seattle, spring is in full gear with different sprouts popping up all over the place! Every Spring and Summer growing up is always a time for tasty citrusy treats, and my mom's citrus recipe is no exception. I actually believe one of my great grandma's use to make this and taught my mom.
Here is what you need:
-Lemon cake mix (plus ingredients called for on the back)
1. To start you are going to bake the cake as directed in a 9x13 pan.
2. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes.
3. Take a fork and poke the cake in rows 1/4 inch apart. Enough to let the icing in to the cake!
4. Sift 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar in to a bowl.
5. Slowly pour in one cup of orange juice in to the bowl with powdered sugar and use a whisk to whisk the mixture together. Add more orange juice if needed as you you want more of a very runny icing over something thick.
6. Once you have the icing ready, pour over the cake. It's ok if it goes to the side of the pan as the cake will absorb it up!
Let the icing absorb in for 10 minutes and then feel free to serve! The cake is nice and citrusy and tastes yummy hot or cold!
PS- I totally grabbed the yellow cake mix instead of the lemon cake when baking and it still turned out decent but it is 10x better with a lemon cake mix!